Friday, April 2, 2010

Die Commercials Die!

Was there ever a time when advertisements did not exist? And what does one consider an advertisment in the first place? Is it the "Sale" sign next to that gallon of milk you bought the other day? Or is it the coupons you recieve every sunday in the paper? Once upon a time I'm sure that was a companys dominant form of advertisement, but in an era of globalization and instant communication are these simpler, less in you face, forms of communication practical anymore?

In The Persuaders it is mentioned that Americans are becoming immune to advertisements. Tivo is allowing us to fast forward through commercials, and we have been so exposed to advertisements in almost every aspect of our lives they've become a background setting rather than center stage. The Persuaders went as far as to suggest American's stop advertising because they are not bringing in enough revenue. The problem with that is that company's are afraid to stop advertising because they will quickly be forgotton about. So we are at a point where a vicious cycle swallows billions of dollars, company's advertist more to stay in the game and less people respond to the advertisement because it's "just another ad."

As much as I want to live in a world where one hour of tv time doesn't consist of 20 minutes of commercials, driving past bright flashy moving billboards doesnt almost send me careening off the freeway, and I can watch my favorite tv show without wondering if the nike shoes every character is wearing is not a coincidence, I realize this is unlikely. I want to be that person who stands up against advertising, end this insanity that is becoming American culture! Unfortunately, as much as I hate being bombarded with advertisements I am a business major and will need to market my business in the future if I want it to stay alive. I just have to be careful not to get sucked into the world of advertising.

No comments: